CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT OF BRIDGESTONE’S HIGHEST PERFORMING RACING SLICK – An in-depth look into Bridgestone’s latest racing tyre development.
At Bridgestone, we continue to innovate with mobility solutions in mind. Using our knowledge from our FIM EWC Factory supported teams, we implemented a transfer of technology in our new Racing Battlax V02F NS-SOFT/NS-MEDIUM. This update replaces the current VM SOFT and VM MEDIUM.
Key improvements: Cornering speeds and braking stability
Historical – Step by Step Evolution
The Racing Battlax V02 Line up is continuously improving. Since its introduction, the V02 has received multiple updates to cope with the increasingly demanding bikes and rider requests.
- Introduced in 2014, the V02 turned into a successful track day companion with its ease of use and high constant grip performance.
- In 2016 the Rear Soft compound was improved to offer a very wide operating range in line with our end-user’s requirements.
- In 2018 the V02 front took a big step forward in terms of feeling and feedback performance with the introduction of the V-MS-Belt construction.
- In 2019 and 2020, 2 new Rear compound options were developed to complete the existing offer with the implementation of the 3LC S/M and a 3LC X/S. The aim was to combining best of both worlds with this dual compound approach and meet rider’s needs.
- In 2021, with the change of FIM regulation, the SST600 and SSP600 classes allowed for the use of slick tyres. The V02 line up was then expanded, adding 2 options on the rear with the 180/655R17 size dedicated to the high performing bikes with 5.5 inch rims.
- In 2022, a new front tyre with a new size, new shape and new construction will be introduced: the Racing Battlax V02F NS-SOFT, and V02F NS-MEDIUM in 120/605R17. A true transfer of technology using our knowledge from our FIM EWC Factory supported teams.
The first technical aspect of the new V02 front tyre is an updated crown profile with a smaller tread width and a higher overall diameter. The target is clear: creating more contact to enhance grip and feedback in high camber angles.
The contact area was not just improved in the high camber, the V02 NS-SOFT and NS-MED show a contact area increase when loaded in all camber angles vs. its predecessor.
The average increase of 11% of the contact area over the different camber angles and a peak of 20% bigger contact area in the deep camber angles (50° and more) will drastically increase the front tyre feel and limit behaviour.
The implementation of the new shape, new construction and profile has increased the operating range of the Soft and Medium front compound.
The V02 NS-Soft and NS-MED are replacing the existing V02 VM-SOFT and VM-MED as of its introduction in 2Q 2021.
Dimension and data